March 25, 2012

lent: repentance


"lent is a season that reminds us to repent
and get our lives centered, our priorities
straight, and our hearts clean."
lauren winner

repentance is often associated with lent. it means 'to rethink things'. it is a change of thought to correct a wrong and gain forgiveness. in a season of reflection, it stands to reason that we would take time to step back and rethink how we live. to examine our faith for the purpose of deepening our commitment to Christ.

at the beginning of lent there was a table at our church filled with stones. we were invited to chose one to take to carry with us throughout the week. it became a symbol of a hard place in our heart, a place waiting for God's touch.

i already knew what the rock represented for me. it's something that has been on my mind for awhile. for me, repentance also included the need for confession. the simple act of acknowledging my sin to another human being. it was scary and it was hard. but it was oh so freeing.

"finally, i confessed all my sins to you
and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
i said to myself, 'i will confess
my rebellion to the Lord.' and
you forgave me! all my guilt is gone."
psalm 32:5

today i carried my stone back to church and and released it into the water of the baptismal font. the water easily covered the stone, like grace so easily covers me.

No comments:

< > Home
emerge © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.